In June, Bray Tourism launched its summer tourism campaign for 2018. Again, this year the strategy will promote Bray as the ultimate summer destination with a whopping 20 events throughout the season and also highlight that there’s so much to discover in the much-loved seaside resort.
From watching Outdoor Movies under the stars, to enjoying all the fun of the fair at the Seafront Fun Fair, from tasting finger-lickin’ chicken wings at Wings Food Fest, to experiencing Ireland’s biggest Air Display…… this summer Bray is packed full of incredible experiences that you can’t get anywhere else, why not come explore us!
Mick Glynn from Bray Tourism said, “Our 2018 summer campaign is to help build awareness that Bray is a vibrant place to visit and stay. Our aim is to attract more tourists in order to boost the local economy. Throughout the summer months, Bray will host a number of great family-friendly events from outdoor movies on the beach to a series of free Sunday afternoon concerts on Bray bandstand. These events will run from early June to mid-September and will really enhance the visitor experience.”
You can watch the stars under the stars with Outdoor Movies on the beach. Just bring a blanket and some popcorn to enjoy some great movies.
- Thursday, July 12th at 10 pm – Top Gun – Running time 1h 50m (Classification: 12A)
- Thursday, August 9th at 10 pm – Dirty Dancing – Running time 1h 40m (Classification: 12A)
- Thursday, August 16th at 9:30 pm – The Greatest Showman – Running time 1h 46m (Classification: PG)
The screen will be located at the Bray harbour wall and will start when it is dark which is normally after 10 pm. This is a free event. Screenings are subject to change without notice and are dependant on weather.
Read more here. Terms & Conditions apply!
It will certainly be the busiest bandstand in the country as Summer Sounds returns to Bray’s iconic Victorian bandstand. Running over selected Sunday’s throughout the summer will be a series of free concerts and will feature big band performances from the Dublin Fire Brigade Band, Bray Concert Band, The Garda Band and plenty more. It all kicks off from June 17th at 2.30pm.
The 2018 lineup:
- Dublin Fire Brigade Band – June 17th at 2:30 pm
- The Harbour Ukuleles – 24th June at 2:30 pm
- The Garda Band – 1st July at 2:30 pm
- Bray Concert Band – 8th July at 2:30 pm
- Lourdes Brass Band – 15th July at 2:30 pm
- Dublin Airport Police Fire Service Band – 22nd July at 2:30 pm
- Bray Concert Band – 29th July at 2:30 pm
- Dublin Airport Police Fire Service Band – 12th August at 2:30 pm
- St. James Brass & Reed Band – 19th August at 2:30 pm
- TBC – 26th August at 2:30 pm
- Bray Concert Band – 2nd September at 2:30 pm
- Blanchardstown Brass Band – 9th September at 2:30 pm
Wings Food Fest is back, and we have a superb line-up of wingtastic activities for you to enjoy now on July 20, 21 & 22. This weekend food festival is dedicated to the mighty chicken wing and includes 15 Wing Pop up shops who will be serving up some of the mightiest, hottest, finger-lickin’ chicken wings on the east coast, you can watch our standout BBQ pitmasters at work as they cook up some delicious meats on the grill. Again, this year we are on the lookout to find who can survive the hottest wings challenge, who can eat the most wings but most importantly who has the best wings in.
So why not soak up the summer sunshine in the company of your favourite wings and our excellent live music line-up!
For more information and to register for the wings challenges please see www.wingsfoodfest.com.
Roll up, roll up for all the fun of the fair… as the Seafront Fun Fair comes to town from July 21stuntil August 6th. Thrill-seekers can enjoy bumper cars, games, stalls and even some candy floss daily from 12 noon until 10 pm.
Returning this summer there’s a ‘Summer Special – Any 10 funfair attractions for €15.00’ exclusions apply. These special discounted tickets available onsite only.
The Fun Fair will be closed on Monday, July 30th & Tuesday, July 31st, 2018.
The Bray Air Display returns on Saturday 28thand Sunday 29th July 2018 where visitors will be treated to gravity-defying manoeuvres, flyovers and aerobatic performances that will leave you speechless. So far this year’s line-up includes over 40 aircraft including the Red Arrows.
As well as the incredible display in the skies over #Bray there will be plenty of family fun which includes a fun-fair, live music, food and craft markets and you can even experience a breath-taking helicopter ride over Bray. See www.brayairdisplay.com for more information.
Run into some fun on Sunday, June 24th, 2018 and take part in The Colour Rush which promises to be a multi-coloured spectacle.
Take on the challenge of multiple obstacles around the 2.5km course whilst being doused in a rainbow of coloured powder paint and getting drenched by the Colour Rush Crew along the way.
This year there are two separate runs: 12 pm to 2 pm – Family Friendly Run (w5+ Years) 3 pm to 5 pm – Youths & Adults Run (13+ Years). Register now at thecolourrush.ie.
Sizzle to the sounds of Fun Lovin’ Criminals, Heather Small (M People), The Stunning, Something Happens, Jerry Fish, The Riptide Movement, HamsandwicH and much more outstanding music acts at the sixth incarnation of Groove Festival.
Great music, quality festival food with something for every palate, lots of laughs at the Live Lounge all topped off with the fabulous backdrop provided by Killruddery House & Gardens so put July 7th & 8th 2018 in your diary. Tickets are on sale now from www.groovefestival.ie or tickets.ie.
HELL & BACK Ireland’s Toughest Mental & Physical Endurance Challenge is the country’s largest and most popular obstacle course run which returns to Killruddery Estate on June 16th& 17thand then again on July 14thfor the New 5km HELL & BACK JUNIOR. You can register for each event at hellandback.ie.
Other events taking place
Bray Seafront Art & Photography Exhibition will run on Sunday 15th July and Sunday 26th August from 12 pm – 4 pm, showcasing and selling the works of local artists and photographers at the iconic Bray Bandstand. Enjoy this family-friendly day of art and photography as well as some fantastic music on the Bandstand.
There’s plenty to keep you busy between events too, from visiting the Mermaid County Wicklow Arts Centre to the National Sea Life Centre. Experience the fun and adrenalin of outdoor adventure sports with Bray Adventures or go Tenpin Bowling at Bray Bowl.
Or why not take a dip in the waters of Bray’s Blue Flag beach, stroll along the magnificent Victorian prom, check out the spectacular views from Bray Head or the Cliff Walk & visit our vibrant town centre where there is an excellent choice of places to shop, stay, dine and socialise in.
Share images or videos of your own trip or holiday moments in Bray
The campaign wants people to share images or videos of their own trip or holiday moments in Bray using the hashtag #SummerInBray, some of which will be shared across bray.ie’s Twitter, Instagram and Facebook networks.
Bray is a coastal town in County Wicklow and is situated about 20 km south of Dublin city centre on the east coast. It is the ninth largest urban area within the Republic of Ireland.
Bray is a resort town making it a destination for tourists and day-trippers, with a great social scene, bustling town centre and thriving industry.
In 2013 Bray saw a four-fold increase in bookings via ebookers making it the second most popular staycation destination in the country.
Bray.ie was crowned the ‘Best Connected Community’ in the Community and Council Awards in January 2017. The awards recognise and celebrate community and councils working together. You can read more about the awards here.
Unfortunately, due to licensing restrictions, we were unable to carry out our ‘Outdoor Movies on the beach’ public voting process; where you helped chose the movies as previously publicised. We apologise for any inconvenience caused.
‘Outdoor Movies on the beach’ Terms & conditions
- The ‘Outdoor Movies on the beach’ screenings are a free event
- All films will start at 10 pm or when it is dark.
- Please dress appropriately for the weather.
- You can bring a blanket, deck chair or camp chair.
- No pets are allowed
- There’s no alcohol allowed.
- Our ‘Outdoor Movies on the beach’ screenings are age appropriate. The onus is on the parent to decide if the movie is suitable for their child to watch.
- If attending the ‘Outdoor Movies on the beach’ screenings children must be accompanied by an adult.
- The screenings will take place on Bray Seafront at the harbour wall, please be good to the environment, respect your town, and take everything home with you.
- There is parking throughout the seafront.
- The event team reserves the right to refuse admission.
- ‘Outdoor Movies on the beach’ screenings are dependent on the weather, if bad weather is forecast, screenings may/will be cancelled.
- Technical issues, glitches or failures are unforeseen. Our event team will try and find a solution. Please be patient and have some respect for our on the ground teams. If a solution can’t be found it may result in the screening been cancelled without notice. Unfortunately, sometimes these things happen at outdoor events. We apologise in advance for any inconvenience this may cause.
The Bray summer tourism campaign is brought to you by Bray Chamber, Wicklow County Council and Bray.ie.
Bray.ie is a trading name of Bray Tourism.